I would love to take credit for writing this, but it was in our local paper, the Pasadena Star News, a couple of weeks ago under the heading “Slice of Wry.”
Preparing for a Ski Trip:
- Stretch a small, but wide, rubber band around the top half of your head before you go to bed.
- If you wear glasses, begin wearing them with glue smeared on the lenses.
- Place a small, but angular, pebble in your shoes. Line them with crushed ice and tighten a c-clamp around your toes.
- Find the nearest ice rink and walk across the ice 20 times in your ski boots, carrying two pairs of skis, accessory bag and poles. Sporadically drop things.
- Secure one of your ankles to a bed post and ask a friend to run into you at a high speed.
- Slam your thumb in a car door. Don’t go see a doctor.
- Clip a lift ticket to the zipper of your jacket and ride a motorcycle fast enough to make the ticket lacerate your face.
- Fill a blender with ice, leave the lid off, put your face over the opening and hit the pulse button and let the spray blast your face. Leave the ice on your face until it melts.
- Put on as many clothes as you can and then proceed to take them off because you have to go to the bathroom. Repeat often.
- Drive slowly for five hours – anywhere – as long as it’s in a snowstorm and you’re following an 18-wheeler.
- Go to a fast-food establishment and “insist” on paying $8.50 for a hamburger. Be sure you are in the longest line!
- Buy a new pair of gloves. Immediately throw one away.
- Throw away a hundred dollar bill.
Repeat all of the above daily until it’s time for the real thing!
Those last minute adventures, vacations, dinner plans, whatever… always seem to be the best, don’t they? On Monday, the weather looked like it was holding to be a beautiful Tuesday, so plans were confirmed to join a few friends to fly to Mammoth for the day! Hard to pass that one up… Nikki even played hooky from school and got someone to cover her work shift so she could join us. We arrived at the Corona airport at 6:30 for wheels up at 7:00, and had a beautiful flight up the Owens Valley to arrive at Mammoth-Yosemite airport an hour and a half later. After driving that same route a few weeks ago, leaving at 4:45 a.m. and arriving around 11:00 exhausted and attempting to ski the rest of the day, I can see how you could really get spoiled if you had the option of flying your twin engine Cessna instead!
Seatbelts on & passengers are ready for takeoff!!
Speeding down the home turf runway…
Amazing views all the way!
Flying at 12,500 feet, we were just 2,005 feet below the summit of Mt. Whitney
The little black strip to the right of the 2 lane road (HWY 395) is our target.
And so very cold!! Nikki attempted to warm her hands in the engine
while waiting for the taxi ride to Mammoth Mountain.
Oh, Mammoth – how I love you so!
Best snow I’ve ever seen on Cornice Bowl
How would you like to have THIS waiting for you after a day of skiing?
We were parked right next to it, so gawking was a given…
Time to say goodbye to beautiful Mammoth and a perfect ski day!
Back home ~ Our flights were uneventful, just like we like ’em!
Thanks to BFC for his exceptional piloting skills, and GFS for making the call to invite us to join you!
Nik and I had the best day!! Love ya